Wednesday, April 24, 2019
The use of direct transmission in industrial compressors increases product life and performance, resulting in energy savings and cost savings
If we consider that the costs of a complex air system during its life cycle constitutes of 70 to 90% of electricity, we understand the importance of maximizing the efficiency of industrial compressors.
The use of direct transmission technology allows this to be achieved. The elimination of intermediate transmission elements between engine and compression groups reduces friction and losses, consuming less energy with the same output produced.
In terms of costs, the savings obtained are based on a variety of cost items:
- The elimination of transmission elements drastically reduces the problems related to wear and the consequent need to replace them, with a reduction in maintenance costs.
- Direct transmission simplifies the structure of the compressor and makes it possible to design machines with longer lives.
- Energy consumption is reduced, as each time an intermediate mechanism is added a new energy requirement is automatically activated to run it.
In summary, direct transmission translates into a lower cost regime over the long term with a return on investment linked to the purchase of the fastest compressor.
Direct transmission in the BOGE SL and SLDF industrial compressor series
Direct transmission can give great results when it is integrated with measures to improve energy consumption and all on the other components of the compressor.
In particular, experience has shown that they must be specifically taken care of at the design level:
- The use of a screw compression unit with high efficiency profiles.
- Frequency regulation, to regulate the quantity of compressed air supplied for the measure actually required.
The BOGE SLDF class compressors combine these characteristics in machines that can make considerable energy savings and are particularly suitable in situations characterized by continuous variations in compressed air demand. The air quality is kept high thanks to the added dryer in the machine.
The SL series has similar characteristics (direct transmission, screw compression), but it is more suitable to the needs of particularly consistent compressed air requirements.
Other aspects of energy optimization
The use of direct transmission is only one of the measures that can be implemented to drastically reduce energy consumption. The truth is that to have positive results it is necessary to intervene on each of the basic components of a modern industrial compressor.
The BOGE approach is characterized by a 360-degree view of the problem. The compressors of the BOGE S series adopt a variety of solutions capable of intervening on every aspect of the energy consumption optimization function:
- Quality of electric motors: only those with high energy efficiency are used for IE IE3 / IE4 Premium Efficiency classes.
- Effluence series screw group, optimized to cut electricity consumption to the same output level.
- Latest generation FOCUS control system. By efficiently varying the work load of the machine based on the real need for compressed air or wear, it enables significant reductions in consumption and maintenance costs.
- Cooling fan with optional frequency converter.
With these measures, energy savings can reach up to 35 percent for the entire system.
Digital transformation and direct transmission compressors
The digital transformation is also affecting the industrial compressor sector. The addition of intelligent controllers make it possible to remotely manage and monitor the system, with optimization of consumption, machine workloads and final output that can be modulated on the actual needs of the moment for any type of industrial plant.
The use of system optimization tools combined with the use of direct-drive industrial compressors can create significant energy savings.
In addition to the FOCUS systems other BOGE products available:
- BOGE AIReport: A monitoring system of electricity and compressed air consumption. This device identifies the weak points of an installation and provides an analysis of improvement of the performance of the complete system.
- BOGE AIR AUDITS: Punctual detection with a joint analysis of the problems of any system to increase its efficiency.
- AIRINTELLIGENCE series: Intelligent controllers to maximize the efficiency of any continuous and real-time compressed air production plant.
In conclusion, the attention to detail in design, such as the use of direct transmission combined with the use of digital technologies, allows innovation to be brought about also in traditional sectors such as industrial compressors, creating increasingly efficient, clean and environmentally friendly plants.